About The System-Wide Effort Reporting System
The University fulfills the effort reporting requirement through the use of the Effort Reporting System (ERS). ERS is a web-based tool that calculates the distribution of effort for all employees paid from federal and federal flow-through funds, captures certification electronically, and provides a mechanism for processing corrections and re-certifying reports.
An effort reporting system must provide records on how individuals participating in federally funded sponsored agreements actually spend their time. Because the federal government mandates effort reporting, it is incumbent upon institutions that receive federal funding to maintain accurate and auditable systems and records.
ERS is a web-based tool that, based on actual pay, calculates the distribution of effort for all employees paid from federal and federal flow-through funds; captures certification electronically; and provides a mechanism for processing corrections and re-certifying reports. Effort reports are required for all personnel paid directly from sponsored projects funded by federal sources, including private and state federal flow-through funds.
Features of ERS include:
- Certifications are easy to track
- Maintains historical information
- System becomes "office of record"
- Reduces risk of noncompliance
- Accessible online 24/7 through Web-based interface
- Reports and certifications are distributed and captured electronically
- Online editing and edit checks
- System interacts with PPS so you can drilldown to detailed payroll calculations
- Tracking of payroll changes against effort reported
Certifying Effort Using ERS
All investigators on sponsored agreements are responsible to certify the amount of effort that they and their employees spent on sponsored activities.
ERS Reporting Periods:
For each calendar year beginning with June there are three ERS reporting periods
- June – September
- ERS run date – November 15th
- Effort reports due on January 28th
- Academic/Summer Salary
- June – September (dates same as above)
- October – January
- ERS run date – March 17th
- Effort reports due on May 31st
- February – May
- ERS run date July 15th
- Effort reports due on September 28th